International Students

Financial Aid for International Students

Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are not eligible for need based aid from HSDM but may be eligible for funds administered by Harvard University's Committee on General Scholarships. International students are also able to borrow funds to help offset their expenses, but there are strict limitations on the availability and amount of that funding. For information on student loans for international students, please visit Harvard University Student Financial Services.

If you are a foreign student, please anticipate that nearly all of your expenses will need to be met by funds from resources outside the School of Dental Medicine.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations require that international students produce formal evidence of their ability to cover the costs of their educational program. This documentation must include certification of the availability of funding for the first full year of study and reasonable assurance that funds will be available for subsequent years. The documentation may be in the form of a certified bank statement from a US bank confirming that adequate funds are available to cover your educational and living expenses. This certification must be received before HSDM can begin to process the I-20 form which will enable you to obtain your visa to study at Harvard. Prospective foreign students who are unable to demonstrate financial solvency will likely have their visa applications denied.