Rotations – Oral Surgery
Each resident will rotate for two months in the oral surgery service of Massachusetts General Hospital. Residents will perform oral surgery in the outpatient clinic, round on and help manage patients on the inpatient service, and assist in outpatient IV sedation cases and inpatient operating-room cases. During this rotation, dental residents will also assist oral surgery residents on emergency call and participate as members of the multidisciplinary team in the Head and Neck Cancer Clinic.
- Learn the oral and systemic evaluation and management of the routine and medically compromised surgery patient.
- Gain experience and develop confidence in simple and surgical exodontia.
- Learn operating-room protocol.
- Gain experience in the management of intraoral and extraoral infections and postoperative complications.
- Advance their knowledge of soft-tissue and hard-tissue pathology.
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of radiographic analysis techniques.
- Gain experience in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with maxillofacial pathology or trauma.