Rotations – Anesthesia
Residents are assigned to the Department of Anesthesia at Brigham and Women’s Hospital for a two-week rotation. Residents receive instruction on the principles and techniques of general anesthesia from a pharmacological, theoretical, and practical standpoint.
- Become knowledgeable in the preoperative evaluation of the general anesthesia patient.
- Learn how to start and maintain intravenous access.
- Learn how to intubate an unconscious patient.
- Gain experience in administering anesthetic agents.
- Gain experience in airway management and monitoring of the unconscious patient.
- Become knowledgeable in the prevention of anesthetic emergencies.
- Assist in the supervision of patients recovering from anesthesia.
- Learn a variety of techniques in postoperative pain management.